Richard “Rip” Sullivan and his wife, Beth, were both raised in Northern Virginia. Before being elected to the House of Delegates in 2014, Rip served our region on numerous boards and commissions, and has extensive experience in a number of key policy areas that have directly translated to his work for his district. Last year, Rip was appointed the Democratic Caucus Campaign Chair, meaning he is leading the Democratic Party’s effort to gain seats and win back the majority in the House.
Outside if his work in the General Assembly, Rip has been widely recognized as a leader in our community, as reflected in his appointments to numerous Northern Virginia boards and commissions. His appointments include the Fairfax Consumer Protection Commission, Transportation Advisory Commission, the Housing and Redevelopment Authority, and the Park Authority. Additionally, Rip served as president of the Legal Services of Northern Virginia, a non-profit institution providing legal services to low-income residents. Rip is also a former member of the Board of Governors for the Virginia Bar Association.
Rip and Beth, his high school sweetheart, have four children, all of whom attend or graduated from our public schools. Now that his children are older, Rip has graduated from the role of chauffeur, but still enjoys watching them play sports. On Saturday mornings you can find him volunteering as the announcer for his son’s swim team.
Rip graduated magna cum laude from Amherst College, and received his law degree from the University of Virginia.
Below is a comprehensive list of Rip’s engagement in our community for more than 20 years.
- United States Institute of Peace International – Advisory Council Member
- Fairfax County Park Authority Board – Board Member
- Fairfax County Housing and Redevelopment Authority – former Vice-Chair
- Fairfax Transportation Advisory Commission – former member
- Virginia Commission on Civics Education – former member
- Fairfax Consumer Protection Commission – former member
- George Mason University School of Law – Adjunct Professor
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia – former President and Board Member
- Potomac Legal Aid Society – former Board Member
- Virginia Law Foundation – Fellow
- Virginia State Bar Council – Represented the 19th Judicial Circuit (2003-2009)
- Virginia Bar Association – former Member of the Board of Governors
- Virginia Bar Association Committee on Federal Judgeships – Eastern District
- Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course – Faculty Member
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Fairfax Law Foundation – Board Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Alexandria Bar Foundation – former Board Member
- Homestretch, Inc. – former Vice Chairman and Board Member
- McLean Community Foundation – President
- Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership at The University of Virginia – Board Member
- Virginia State Bar/Virginia Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Joint Committee – Member and former Chair
- Virginia State Bar Emergency Legal Services Task Force – Chairman
- Virginia State Bar Special Committee on Access to Legal Services – Member and former Chairman of the Subcommittee on Funding Alternatives
- Virginia State Bar Special Committee on the Resolution of Fee Disputes – former Chairman
- Dranesville Budget Task Force – Chair
- Virginia Super Lawyers – awarded in 2006 and 2014